County Driven Model
- The Smart Start Siaya campaign which is geared towards promoting nurturing care for early childhood development in Siaya County is being spearheaded by the County Governor and the First Lady of Siaya County as the Patron. This leadership brings coordination of all the Early Childhood Development programs in the county.
- The involvement of the Members of County Assembly is also key towards investments in early childhood development by incorporating ECD issues into the county Annual Work plans and budget.
- Through the Office of the First Lady, there is a ECD Multisectoral Committee have been formed at the county and subcounty levels to coordinate all ECD initiatives that are being implemented by various partners in the county. The Committee members are drawn from different sectors of governance such as Health, Agriculture, Civil Registration, Communications as well as Subcounty and Ward administrations.
- National Government Administrative Officers led by the County Commissioner are also key to spearhead community dialogue sessions in matters of nurturing care as well as promoting birth registration and child protection.
- This model seeks to incorporate public private partnership in its approach. This entails engaging with private partners particularly civil society in promoting nurturing care practices in the county. It involves leveraging each partner’s strength to implement the five components of nurturing care in a well-coordinated approach.
- With family centered care at its core, the county driven model champions for equity for all children be they those born of adolescents, prisoners, drug users or sex workers.